Ruby Red was born out of grief. She’s nine. She’s spunky. She wears her heart on her sleeve. She appeared out of the blue and stole the first line of my next novel. She took off running and I’ve been tagging along ever since.

It’s difficult to make sense of life after both your sister and brother die within a few months of each other like Ruby’s did. Her whole world turned upside down so Ruby turned to blogging to try and put things “right” again.

Monday, April 7, 2014

The Smilin' Lion



Last Saturday Julie Mobley’s mama took me’ ‘n her ‘n Kerrington to the zoo down at Ashboro. She took us a picnic lunch ‘n a dozen cupcakes ‘n when we got done eatin’ we was almost too stuffed to go see the animals.

I couldn’t help memberin’ the last time I was there with Loraine ‘n Rubin ‘n Mama ‘n Daddy. It was me ‘n Rubin’s last birthday together. Rubin wanted to see the lions first cause he liked ‘em the best. After we seen all the other animals we had to see the lions one last time ‘fore we went on back home. The biggest lion done had his lunch ‘n was stretched out on a rock sunnin’ himself. All the other lions were gone. Daddy said they was inside the cave in the shade. Rubin called to the lion ‘n asked him for one more roar but that lion just opened his eyes a little bit ‘n then went back to his nappin’.

Well, on Saturday when we went by the lions that same lion was sunnin’ himself on that same rock. He looked at me ‘n then stood up ‘n let out a roar. Then he looked up to the sky ‘n closed his eyes ‘n smiled ‘n I knowed he was smilin’ at Rubin up there cause he didn’t see him down here with me.

Grampa says that Rubin ‘n me have a special connection ‘n that’s why I keep havin’ these mountain top experences. He wants to have a mountain top experence too but he don’t never have none since he got old. He said he used to have ‘em when he was a boy but ever since he growed up he don’t have ‘em no more.

Rubin, do you think maybe you could ask God to help him have one again? Cause I don’t think Grandpa is much happy not havin’ ‘em.

I miss you, Rubin. Did you hear the lion roar for you? I know I done told you this b’fore but there’s an empty space in my heart where you used to be. Sometimes it hurts so bad but other times, like today thinkin’ ‘bout that lion smilin’ ‘n roarin’ at you makes that empty place in my heart just a dazzle ‘n that’s when I know you're still with me. Evertime I feel that dazzlin’ in my heart I’m gonna smile real big for you just like that lion done ‘n that’ll be my birthday present to you for every one a our birthdays from now on.


P.S. Please can you tell God that I’m mighty obliged ‘bout that lion ‘memberin’ us? 

No comments: