Ruby Red was born out of grief. She’s nine. She’s spunky. She wears her heart on her sleeve. She appeared out of the blue and stole the first line of my next novel. She took off running and I’ve been tagging along ever since.

It’s difficult to make sense of life after both your sister and brother die within a few months of each other like Ruby’s did. Her whole world turned upside down so Ruby turned to blogging to try and put things “right” again.

Monday, April 14, 2014

Palm Sunday Adventure

I couldn’t wait for Palm Sunday to get here. Everbody at church was gonna sing the Hosanna song while the children’s choir was gonna walk up the aisle carrin’ palm branches. Well when I waked up on Palm Sunday mornin’ I wasn’t feelin’ so good. My stomach had a ache ‘n I didn’t want no breakfast. Mama said, “Are you alright, Ruby?” I made myself smile ‘n said, “Sure am.” Mama felt my forehead ‘n shook her head. “Does anybody in your class at school have a cold or the flu?” Daddy asked. I told him I didn’t think so. Well, we piled in the truck ‘n when I set down I knowed I wasn’t right, but I was so e’cited to carry a palm branch ‘n sing that Hosanna song we been practicin’ since Christmas with all the other kids that I kept my mouth shut.

When it got time for church, after Sunday School, I put on my white choir robe ‘n went ‘n picked out a palm branch. Then I heard the big pipe organ ‘n the choir ‘n all the people stood up to sing the Hosanna song. It was so pretty hearin’ everbody sing. Then it was time to carry the palms to the front a the church ‘n I felt that pain in my stomach get real bad so I held the palm branch under one arm ‘n held onto the hurtin’ place with the other hand ‘n started walkin’ with the other kids. Everbody smiled when they saw all us kids with all them palms. When we lined up at the front a the church I got so dizzy ‘n was afraid I was gonna throw up in front a the preacher. Well, the preacher came over to me just about when I started seein’ stars. Next thing I knowed Daddy ‘n Mama was takin’ me to the car.

I had a hard time walkin’ ‘cause the pain got more worse ‘n I got so dizzy that I just closed my eyes. Then I saw this bright white light like the Milky Way. I started floatin’ ‘n pretty soon I caught up with Rubin. He was just a smilin’ when he seen me ‘n then we hugged ‘n laughed ‘n pretty soon we caught up with Loraine ‘n she was real nice to us ‘n started jumpin’ cause she was so happy to see us. She said, “Just wait till you see who’s up ahead. We was flyin’ then past lots a people we didn’t know ‘n then we sawed Ty Mobley ‘n Grannie ‘n Poppa. I could hardly believe it. We all started cryin’ ‘n laughin’ ‘n huggin’ each other ‘n then I looked back. My heart was so happy! I saw Bondi ‘n JB just a runnin’ ‘n then Grampa ‘n Grandma ‘n Daddy ‘n Mama ‘n Jessie Mobley ‘n Kerrington ‘n everbody. We was all glowin’ like sparklers. I don’t never think I was this happy in all my life.

Then I heard Mama say, “You’re okay, Ruby. You’re okay!” Well, I didn’t know why I was okay but I did know that I was freezin’ cold ‘n I told Mama so. She put a warm blanket over me ‘n I felt so much better. I opened my eyes ‘n didn’t see the white light no more. “Where am I?” I asked. “You’re in the hospital in Siler City,” she said. “The hospital?” Mama rubbed my shoulder. “You had appendicitis,” she said, ’n the doctor took your appendix out.” I opened my eyes ‘n saw Daddy all teary-eyed. “The doctor thought your appendix ruptured…but it didn’t. You’re gonna be just fine. We’re gonna take you home in a little while.”

I kinda couldn’t member stuff right ‘n I asked Mama if I got to carry the palm. She got a big smile then. Daddy squeezed my toes through the blanket. “You was the best palm carrier I ever did see,” he said. Then I hear Grandma say my name. “Ruby! Oh Ruby honey. I’m so glad you’re alright.” Me ‘n Grandpa came as fast as we could.” They was kissin’ my face ‘n pattin’ my head.
Well, I was glad that everbody was there ‘n I was glad that my appendix didn’t rupture cause I think that woulda been a bad thing. But I didn’t see the bright light no more ‘n I didn’t see Rubin ‘n Loraine. That kinda made me sad. I got to wonderin’ if I just dreamed it all up or if I was floatin’ up that white light b’fore I was supposed to.


I kinda liked everbody makin’ a fuss over me ‘cause I knowed there are kids who don’t have a mama ‘n a daddy ‘n grandparents who will hop in the car ‘n drive a couple hours just ‘cause a little kid like me got a stomach ache. The doctor who took my appendix out came to see me too. She shook hands with Daddy ‘n said, “Thank God you got her here in time.” I looked out the window ‘n sawed the prettiest pink dogwood tree. It made my heart feel happy. I looked past the tree ‘n up to the blue sky ‘n said, “Thank you God for lettin’ me sing the Hosanna song ‘n for lettin’ me carry that palm.” Then I went on off back to sleep. 


2 comments:

Judy Baker said...

What a sweet little story. I love listening to Ruby's Hosanna song. It was beautiful. Happy Easter Ruby.

Shelia Rudesill said...

Thanks Judy! Happy Easter to you too!