Ruby Red was born out of grief. She’s nine. She’s spunky. She wears her heart on her sleeve. She appeared out of the blue and stole the first line of my next novel. She took off running and I’ve been tagging along ever since.

It’s difficult to make sense of life after both your sister and brother die within a few months of each other like Ruby’s did. Her whole world turned upside down so Ruby turned to blogging to try and put things “right” again.

Monday, April 21, 2014

Get Over It

We didn’t getta go to church on Easter ‘cause Mama said I still needed to re’couperate from my appendix getting’ taken out. We colored eggs on Saturday, ‘n Sunday mornin’ I waked up to a great big pink ‘n fluffy Easter bunny right there in bed with me. When I took that bunny out to show Mama ‘n Daddy I seen a Easter basket on the kitchen table with my name on it. It had ever kinda candy I think I ever knowed ‘bout…chocolate bunnies, Peeps, jellybeans, peanut butter eggs ‘n even Mama’s favorite, those chocolate eggs with the yellow ‘n cream inside that come from bunnies instead a chickens.

We ate waffles for breakfast ‘n then Daddy told Mama he had a surprise for her. Well, he opened the back door ‘n when Mama ‘n me went out there was all these flowers in pots ‘n bags a plantin’ soil ‘n even a brand new pair a garden gloves. Well, that done made Mama cry ‘n she throwed her arms round Daddy’s neck ‘n said, Thank you, thank you! I wanna get to work right now.”

After lunch, when Kerrington seen me ‘n Mama ‘n Daddy outside plantin’ the flowers, she came a runnin’ over. She was all dressed up from Sunday school ‘n church. Her Mama made lots a little braids cross the top a her head ‘n she looked mighty pretty but different. “How ya feelin’, Ruby?” she asked me. “I told her just fine ‘n that maybe I could g’on back to school on Tuesday after I go to the doctor on Monday. “You didn’t go to sunday School this mornin’?” she asked all surprised like. “I still gotta re’couperate,” I said back. “But you missed the most important holiday a all.” I got kinda chilly ‘cause the wind was a blowin’ somethin’ fierce so I invited Kerrington to come inside ‘n have some candy ‘n she did. She likes Peeps the best.

“Ruby, it just seems like, well, you woulda at least gone to the sunrise service.” I just looked at her eatin’ them Peeps. “Why?” She swallowed hard ‘n opened her eyes wide. “Cause a Easter we know that we ain’t never gonna die ‘n we’re all goin’ to heaven. That should be somethin’ you should wanna celebrate, I mean with Rubin ‘n Loraine bein’ up there in heaven ‘n all.”

“Kerrington,” I said ‘n just a looked at her. “You don’t hafta go to church to celebrate that. But you know what?” “What?” she said. “Goin’ to church kinda hurts Mama ‘n Daddy,” I said. “Hurts ‘em how?” she asked me. “Well some people at the church wants us to get over bein’ sad, but we ain’t never gonna get over losing Loraine ‘n Rubin. We all got bad broke hearts ‘n Rubin ‘n Loraine are gonna live forever in the cracks a our hearts that ain’t never gonna seal back up. Maybe we won’t get over it, but someday we’re gonna get through it.

Well, Kerrington stopped eatin’ them Peeps ‘n said, “You mean like some people who never get over a broke leg but they learn to walk with a limp?”


“Yeah,” I said. “I guess that’s ‘xactly what I mean.”

No comments: