Ruby Red was born out of grief. She’s nine. She’s spunky. She wears her heart on her sleeve. She appeared out of the blue and stole the first line of my next novel. She took off running and I’ve been tagging along ever since.

It’s difficult to make sense of life after both your sister and brother die within a few months of each other like Ruby’s did. Her whole world turned upside down so Ruby turned to blogging to try and put things “right” again.

Monday, February 3, 2014

Ruby Red's Tuesday Blog: The Super Bowl Party

I don’t know why we had to have a Super Bowl party…nobody liked the teams that was playin’. Daddy ‘n Grandpa root for the Carolina Panthers ‘n Mama ‘n Grandma said they’d rather be watchin’ the Puppy Bowl ‘n Downtown Abbey instead of a silly ‘ole football game. Grampa told me that  he wanted to see Peyton Manning throw some magic but I guess that didn’t happen much—even from the very beginin’.

It was all pretty borin’ ‘cept for the commercials. Most times when the commercials come on everbody gets up to go to the bathroom or gets somethin’ to eat. But Grandma says these commercials are special ‘n better’n the game.

Grandma pulled me into the middle a the livin’ room when Bruno Mars started playin’ the drums ‘n got me dancin’ with her. She tried to get Mama dancin’ too but Mama didn’t wanna dance. Grandma says Mama don’t know how to have fun but I member when Mama used to dance with Loraine ‘n me. I think she didn’t wanna dance cause she don’t want Loraine to think she don’t miss her. She don’t want Loraine or Rubin to think she’s happy now.

I was wonderin’ ‘bout Daddy. Rubin used to play football ‘n Daddy used to coach his team. Daddy didn’t say nothin’ ‘bout Rubin ‘n I didn’t neither.

I just danced ‘n danced with Grandma ‘n we laughed ‘n laughed.

B’fore bed Grandma invited me into the new guest room, the one that used to be Rubin’s bedroom. I didn’t wanna go in. I hadn’t been in there since Mama took all a Rubin’s stuff out. But Grandma said I had to go in. That it was time. Rubin’s green walls was eggshell now. There was a nice bed ‘n two night stands with little lamps. It all made me feel cold. Then Grandma said, “Lookie at the wall behind you.” When I saw it I smiled ‘n I had to go touch it from one end to the other. Grandma done covered the whole wall with memories—all our baby pictures ‘n school pictures ‘n vacation pictures ‘n drawin’s we made ‘n the ribbons we all won in the Scouts. There’s pictures a Mama ‘n Daddy when they was little ‘n even Grandma ‘n Grandpa’s weddin’ pictures. I just couldn’t stop lookin’ ‘n memberin’ all the happy times.

Grandma put her arm round me ‘n said, “I hope I didn’t upset you last week when I said all that stuff bout Loraine ‘n Rubin bein’ in Heaven.” I looked at her real hard. “I don’t want ‘em to be there. I miss ‘em too much.” Grandma squeezed my shoulder ‘n said, “When the people we love become a memory…our memories become treasures. Just think ‘bout that a minute. 

Grandma ‘n me sat on the bed ‘n we just looked ‘n looked at that wall. After a while she said, “This here room isn’t a guest room. It’s our treasure room. This room holds our hearts.” Well, wouldn't ya know I started cryin’. Grandma stood up ‘n took my hand. “Let’s dance. Let’s do a cloggin’ dance for Rubin ‘n Loraine.” And when we stamped our feet on that wood floor, I felt joy all in my insides!

CONTEST!!


Grandma’s favorite Super Bowl commercial is Maserati, Now We Strike. You know how Grandma likes them sports cars.

Mama liked Radio Shack’s Back to the80s cause that's when she was a teenager 'n she members all them people. 

Daddy ‘n Grandpa didn’t like any of ‘em but they both belly laughed when that bear come into the store to buy some yogurt.

Jessie Mobley's favorite is BestBuds cause she likes horses 'n thinks that little puppy is so dern cute.



Which one is Ruby's favorite?

Click here to enter. 

The FIRST person with the correct answer will win an autographed paperback edition of TRANSMUTARE 


Good Luck!
Winner will be announced next Tuesday

4 comments:

Teresa Cypher said...

“This here room isn’t a guest room. It’s our treasure room. This room holds our hearts.” Nice! Grandma is caring and wise. :-) Good story, Sheila. :-)

Shelia Rudesill said...

Thank you Teresa and thanks for visiting!

Beatriz McDavid said...

Fantastic, as always!

Shelia Rudesill said...

Thanks, again!