Ruby Red was born out of grief. She’s nine. She’s spunky. She wears her heart on her sleeve. She appeared out of the blue and stole the first line of my next novel. She took off running and I’ve been tagging along ever since.

It’s difficult to make sense of life after both your sister and brother die within a few months of each other like Ruby’s did. Her whole world turned upside down so Ruby turned to blogging to try and put things “right” again.

Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Ruby Red's Tuesday Blog: Kerrington

A new family moved into the house next door. I was glad to see there was a girl my age ‘cause first I just saw two boys ‘n a mom ‘n a dad. My mama bought a lotta Girl Scout cookies ‘cause I was havin’ trouble sellin’ ‘em. She packed up a few boxes ‘n we took ‘em over to welcome the new family. Mrs. Bell said to call her Dottie ‘n Mama did. Then I met Kerrington. She’s gonna go to Hawboro School just like me. “Wanna go to school together on Monday?” she asked. “Sure.” I said. “But I ride my bike. I don’t ride the bus.” She looked at me kinda funny like. “Why?” she asked. I just shook my head and went on back home.

Saturday mornin’ I got into Mama’s bag of scraps. Mama likes to sew quilts sometimes ‘n she collects all kinda material just in case she wants to use it one day. I found a piece of baby pink velvet ‘n Mama said I could have it for a project. I wanted to make bathrobes for Bondi ‘n JB for when we get outta my warm bed on cold mornins’. I started cuttin’ ‘n a sewin’ right away ‘n finished up the second robe Sunday afternoon. Bondi let me put his on him but not JB…he was squrmin’ ‘n fussin’.


In the middle of all that I heard a loud bang on the front window. I knew it was a bird ‘n I went out to see ‘cause a long time ago a bird flew into the back window by all the bird feeders ‘n got killed. After that Mama bought some bright ribbons to hang from the windows out back ‘n that kept the birds from flyin’ into the glass ever since. My hands got all sweaty ‘cause there’s no ribbons out front. Kerrington ‘n her brothers were playin’ in their yard ‘n she heard the thump too ‘n came runnin’ over. “Was it a bird that hit the window?” she asked. “I think so,” I said lookin’ around on the ground. I spotted a bright red cardinal layin’ real still. I had JB’s bathrobe in my hand so I picked that birdie up ‘n wrapped the robe around him ‘n carried him into the house. Kerrington followed me but she didn’t say nothin’. The birdie opened his eyes ‘n closed ‘em a couple times but he was so pitiful lookin’. I sat in the rockin’ chair ‘n we rocked ‘n rocked. JB ‘n Bondi jumped up to my lap to see the birdie but JB jumped back down and rubbed his face on Kerrington’s jeans. Bondi cuddled up to the birdie ‘n purred to him. After a while the birdie stopped his shiverin’ ‘n let out a little peep. Mama came in ‘n said, “Kerrington. What a nice surprise you are.” Then she looked out the window. “It’s startin' to snow. It’s gonna be beautiful later…supposed to snow all day.” She turned round ‘n saw me rockin’ that bird. “What’cha doin’?” she asked. I told her bout the birdie crashin’ into the window ‘n she said, “Lemmy see.” So I pulled back the robe so she could see the bright red feathers. “Oh honey he doesn’t look like he’s hurt too bad.” The birdie chirped again. “Do you think he can fly?” I asked. “Just one way to find out,” Mama said. “Why don’t you girls take him outside and set him free.” I was scared he wouldn’t be well enough to fly but I took him outside anyway ‘n opened the robe. Well, that birdie took off flyin’ ‘n flew straight up to the top of a tree. I was so happy my insides started to melt.


We was both all smiles then, Kerrington ‘n me. “I know why you ride your bike to school…a boy down the street told my brother about your brother.” I just looked at her a minute then went on back inside.


The next mornin’ when I got on my bike Kerrington called out to me. I rode over to her ‘n she said, “There’s still snow on the ground.” “So,” I said back. “I was just thinkin’…,” she said. “If you want to ride the bus today you can sit with me.” I gasped in my breath ‘n felt cold all over. I just rode away without never sayin’ nothin’. After ‘bout three blocks my teeth was chatterin’. The snow was gone off the street but it was deep on the sidewalk ‘n I could only walk my bike. I membered what Kerrington told me. I saw the kids at the next bus stop to mine so I parked my bike behind a tree ‘n went to stand in line just when the bus pulled up. I was real nervous walkin’ up them steps but when I got all the way into the aisle I saw Kerrington wavin’. She had a big smile on her face. I sat down next to her ‘n she grabbed my hand ‘n squeezed it ‘n said, “I’m glad you came. You’re so brave, Ruby.” 

Ruby's new friend Kerrington Bell

BRAVE by Sara Bareilles

“….Don’t run, stop holding your tongue
Maybe there’s a way out of the cage where you live
Maybe one of these days you can let the light in
Show me how big your brave is….”

Photo by Bud Rudesill 



And the WINNER is:

Nobody guessed Ruby's favorite Super Bowl commercial
so the prize goes to "tryingtogetpreggers" because she knows so much about Ruby:
"I think it's was T-Mobile's commercial because Ruby LOVES pink!" 

Congratulations!

Actually Ruby's favorite commercial is Cheerios' "Gracie"


8 comments:

Judy Baker said...

Kerrington is so cute and think she'll be a good friend for Ruby. Amazing bird picture Bud took.

Beatriz McDavid said...

Kerrington is adorable--love her name, too! Can't wait to see what these two get into! And Bud's photo is superb!

Rick Bylina said...

Nice bird shot. I have birds pounding my windows all the time.

william alexander said...

She seems to be a very bright and compassionate little Girl.I look forward to reading more in the future.

Shelia Rudesill said...

Thank you William. Ruby is grieving now but just wait for her joy to emerge as she recovers.

Shelia Rudesill said...

That shot is Bud's. I photograph birds all day and he comes along, picks up the camera and shoots a winner in 5 seconds.... Thanks for dropping by, Rick!

Shelia Rudesill said...

Thanks Betty! Kerrington is based on a little girl in my neighborhood--same name, same personality. Bud says, "Thanks!"

Shelia Rudesill said...

Kerrington will be a good friend for Ruby and Jessie Mobley, but just wait until you meet her little brothers!