Ruby Red was born out of grief. She’s nine. She’s spunky. She wears her heart on her sleeve. She appeared out of the blue and stole the first line of my next novel. She took off running and I’ve been tagging along ever since.

It’s difficult to make sense of life after both your sister and brother die within a few months of each other like Ruby’s did. Her whole world turned upside down so Ruby turned to blogging to try and put things “right” again.

Friday, January 10, 2014

Ruby Red's Silver Lining

I got to thinkin’ ‘bout the sisters ‘n brothers a all those kids that got killed at Sandy Hook School ‘n all those kids that survived that big typhoon in the Philippines. They must be feelin’ just like me. They must be missin’ their sisters ‘n brothers too. I know I can’t do nothin’ ‘bout the typhoon ‘n the hurtin’ it caused ‘n after more ’n a year those little kids’n their teachers in Newton are still grieved. It’s just that I’m feelin’ worse sorry for myself than those homeless kids who hafta sleep in tents on the soggy ground. I know there’s a lot a hurtin’ goin’ on but there’s still lots a hurtin’ goin’on deep inside a me. Mama says I’m fortunate to have a nice warm bed ‘n two lovin’ parents ‘m I’m old enough to know that’s the truth. It’s just that, hard as I try, I’m so dern lost without Loraine ‘n Rubin.

Daddy told me I been beatin’ the odds all my life…that I was one a the lucky ones. But what’s the odds a losin’ your sister ’n your brother in less than four months? Mama says to look for the silver linin’ ‘n I’m tryin’.

Jessie Mobley ‘n me been friends ever since pre-school but we’re best friends now…now that I’m a only child ’n she had experience at that…for a little while anyways/
Jessie’s big brother, Ty, died last year. He had leukemia ‘n got real well for ’bout a week after he got a bone marrow transplant. Then one mornin’ he just didn’t wake up. Her parents were in the same predicament as mine—too old to have any more kids ’n too poor to go to China to get one. B’sides they wanted a boy. So they go ‘n adopt another brother for her but this new brother isn’t easy like Ty was. This brother, Jake, don’t never wear down. The first day he went a swingin’ from the bathroom towel rack ‘n plum pulled it out the wall. Jessie’s mama wadn’t too mad ’cause Jake broke his arm in two places ‘n had to go to surgery that very afternoon. Jessie didn’t like goin’ back to the children’s hospital where Ty spent so many dark days. Neither did her mama ‘n daddy. But Jake just spent one night there ‘n was real happy to have a neon green cast for everbody to sign on.

Jessie Mobley listens to me ramblin’ on ‘bout everthing Rubin ‘n me used to do ‘n about how Loraine used to cry when she got so outta breath she couldn’t even pick up the basketball let alone dribble it. I just can’t help wonderin’ if Rubin ‘n Loraine knew what a great place heaven is s’posed to be. I don’t ’member nobody talkin’ ’bout heaven b’fore Loraine went there. How’d did she know she coulda run without gettin’ out a breath? Is that why she left? But why did Rubin go ‘n Ty? Jessie Mobley says that nobody really knows where heaven is or what it’s like there, but she knows that when Ty died he went to be with God ‘n that’s enough for her.


I gotta think on that. I guess what’s botherin’ me most is I’m so dern mad at Rubin ‘n Loraine for goin’ off ‘n leavin’ me behind. Me ’n Jessie Mobley didn’t need no friends b’fore Ty, Rubin, ‘n Loraine left us but we’re best friends now. I recon that Jessie Mobley is my silver linin’…’n maybe I’m hers too.

1 comment:

Beatriz McDavid said...

Fantastic, Shelia! Keep 'em coming!

Betty McDavid