Ruby Red was born out of grief. She’s nine. She’s spunky. She wears her heart on her sleeve. She appeared out of the blue and stole the first line of my next novel. She took off running and I’ve been tagging along ever since.

It’s difficult to make sense of life after both your sister and brother die within a few months of each other like Ruby’s did. Her whole world turned upside down so Ruby turned to blogging to try and put things “right” again.

Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Ruby Red: Kitty Has A Brand New Name

I’m feelin’ pretty happy that so many people helped me name my kitty. I liked lots ’a the names like Kit-Kat (two people suggested that one), Mazy, Domino, Prince George ‘n Magic. Jessie Mobley ’n me tried out all the names but kitty wadn’t interested in any of ’em.

On Sunday Jessie Mobley, Mama, ’n me was watchin’ figure skatin’ on the TV when kitty jumped off my lap ’n did a little dance right there on the livin’ room floor. Mama said he was dancin’ to the music a the skaters who was skatin’ to a song called, Gold Finger, the James Bond theme song. Well, I didn’t know nothin’ ’bout James Bond ’n neither did Jessie Mobley so Mama told us all ’bout him bein’ the famous Agent 007 who used to get dressed up in tuxedos. “Bond. James Bond,” she said all dreamy-eyed. “Didn’t somebody want to name kitty James Bond?”

Me ’n Jessie Mobley looked at each other. “Yeah, somebody did,” I said. “Rubin liked spies ‘n conspiracy theories,” I told Jessie Mobley. “Rubin probly knew ’bout Agent 007 ‘n a all the names on the list that’s the name he’d choose. I got big ’old goose bumps all up ’n down my arms just thinkin’ that Rubin woulda chosen that name. I couldn’t help from smilin’. Jessie Mobley was smilin’ too ‘n we both started callin’, “Bond! James Bond. Come here!” But kitty didn’t come. So I tried Agent double O seven. Still nothin’. Then Jessie Mobley called, “Seven! Come on Seven.” But that kitty didn’t move a whisker. I got a little bothered then ‘n kinda sad. When the skatin’ was over Mama turned the TV off ‘n I scooted to the floor.
Kitty was asleep in front a the TV. I guess he was all tuckered out. “James Bond,” I whispered. But kitty still didn’t move. “Bondi?” I said a little louder ’n low ’n b’hold kitty opened his eyes ’n twitched his nose. “Bondi?” I called again. “Come here Bondi Boy.” That kitty got up ‘n pranced across the floor to me ‘n started purrin’ real loud. Jessie Mobley smiled. “He likes that. He likes to be called Bondi Boy.”


So I named my kitty Bond. James Bond ’cause I could hear Rubin sayin’ that ‘n my insides got all warm ‘n fuzzy. Mama looked at me. “Bond. James Bond. That’s a fine name for such a handsome cat.” When she said that I felt the place where Rubin took that little white light outta me go all tingly. I picked up Bondi Boy ‘n hugged him to my heart ‘n kissed the top a his soft precious head.

 


 Congratulations to Betty from Florida. Here’s what she said about the winning name: “Bond. James Bond”: OK, here's my entry. I say Ruby Red names her kitten "Agent 007," but she calls him "Bond" (or "James" or "James Bond"). The reason she decided on that name was that Rubin liked conspiracy theories, mysteries, and probably anything having to do with spies. And because this kitty looks like he could be a first-rate spy all dressed up in his tux, maybe that's a name Rubin would have chosen and will make Ruby feel like a part of Rubin is still with her, still joining in her escapades. And she decided against a "color" name (having to do with kitty's black and white coat and green eyes) because after Rubin dying she has to stay away from names with colors. :)

2 comments:

Judy Baker said...

Love the name...it fits.

Beatriz McDavid said...

Thank you, Shelia! And Ruby! I love how you developed the story of Ruby's choosing the name! xo