Ruby Red was born out of grief. She’s nine. She’s spunky. She wears her heart on her sleeve. She appeared out of the blue and stole the first line of my next novel. She took off running and I’ve been tagging along ever since.

It’s difficult to make sense of life after both your sister and brother die within a few months of each other like Ruby’s did. Her whole world turned upside down so Ruby turned to blogging to try and put things “right” again.

Wednesday, January 8, 2014

CONTEST: The Naming of Ruby Red’s Kitty



My kitty doesn't have a name. I been thinkin' 'n thinkin' but no name I think of is the right one. Last year Grandma gave Loraine a book 'bout cats called, Old Possum’s Book of Practical Cats. One of the poems is ’bout namin’ cats but those names are kinda complicated. If Loraine was alive she woulda already named my kitten for me 'n it probably woulda been a name I don't like. She woulda never let a kitten go so long without a name. 

So, will y'all help me? Please? I’d be mighty obliged.

CONTEST: Name Ruby Red’s kitten!
WINNER will receive TWO Shelia Bolt Rudesill 5 Star ebooks:

Click HERE to enter. Good Luck!


Listen to T.S. Elliot read his poem “The Naming of Cats” 


8 comments:

Beatriz McDavid said...

OK, here's my entry. I say Ruby Red names her kitten "Agent 007," but she calls him "Bond" (or "James" or "James Bond"). The reason she decided on that name was that Rubin liked conspiracy theories, mysteries, and probably anything having to do with spies. And because this kitty looks like he could be a first-rate spy all dressed up in his tux, maybe that's a name Rubin would have chosen and will make Ruby feel like a part of Rubin is still with her, still joining in her escapades. And she decided against a "color" name (having to do with kitty's black and white coat and green eyes) because after Rubin dying she has to stay away from names with colors. :)

Shelia Rudesill said...

Wow! That's the spirit, Beatriz! Love your creativity! Ruby's favorite name so far today!

Jessica Bolt said...

Magic as in magician

Judy Baker said...

I really like the Bond name. I was going to say George, after all there were many kings named George, some not so likable and some adorable like the third in line for England's king - Prince George. He's so adorable, he would have to make a great king. As a cat lover, I know how loving a cat can be, but also independent with a mind of his own. Ruby's cat looks regal and adorable, but I'm sure he'll be a very curious cat. Good luck.

Shelia Rudesill said...

I like "Magic". That's a contender. Thanks Jessica!

Shelia Rudesill said...

George is good. So is Prince George. And timely. Ruby adores Kate the "real" princess!

Elaine said...

Well this isn't very creative, but how about Sasha Junior after Martha's cat Sasha who is still alive and well? Or does it have to be a male name? Winston comes to mind for no particular reason. I like the names already mentioned too.

Shelia Rudesill said...

Elaine,
Sasha was actually the Russian nickname for "Alexander" before it became a female name so that would work! It's up to Ruby so we'll see. Winner will be announced tomorrow! Thanks for entering!